Friday, September 7, 2012

A quotation

"As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use"
- William James

I believe that this quote is describing that we, as humans, take information that is meaningless to us and immediately think it is a lie. This quote says it is a rule, certain people may be like this, but not all, so I do  agree with this quote.

I will occasionally will disregard facts and theories that I have no use for, but someone who does have a use, will believe it and think of it regularly. So I do not disbelieve it, although I discard it. Many facts I have learned in previous years of school I have forgotten or lost in my memory because the have absolutely no use in my life, and I do not believe I will need to know it in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Carson, this is a great analysis of this quote. I agree that there are probably a lot of people that think some ideas may be false if they don't have any interest in them, and I like your own reasoning behind your opinion. Though I can't recall ever thinking something was false just because I didn't care about the topic, I can see how one would think like that. However, I am a pretty gullible person sometimes, so I would be the type who believes something before I looked into/researched it.

    ReplyDelete